Student Work Permit

Students under 16 years of age must obtain a work permit before beginning a job.  

This includes students who are home-schooled and students waivered into the district.

In order to apply for a work permit, the student must be:

  1. enrolled in school;

  2. not habitually truant or under suspension; and

  3. passing a majority of courses during the current grading period.

Once the student has a promise of a job,

here are the next steps to obtaining a worker's permit.

Download the Maine Work Permit Form


Complete the Maine Work Permit Form and bring it with a copy of the student's birth certificate which will allow us to complete the age verification form and return the birth certificate to you.  If school is in session, the student must obtain a form from their guidance counselor that states they are passing a majority of their courses, are not habitually truant or suspended from school.  These documents should be brought to the Westbrook School Department Administrative Office (117 Stroudwater Street).  If the parent / guardian has signed the form, they are not required to be with the student while obtaining a permit.


The Administrative Office will complete the permit and submit it to the Maine Department of Labor. It is the duty of the Department of Labor to ensure that the student is of legal age to work and that the type of work / business is not hazardous.

The Maine Department of Labor will keep a copy and return a copy of the approved worker's permits to the Administrative Office who will then mail it directly to the student's home address.

Maine Work Permit Form

Employers must have a stamped, approved work permit on file before allowing any student under 16 years old to work.


Permits are issued for specific jobs and specific employers and are not transferable to any other job or employer.

Students may only have one (1) active permit during the school year and two (2) during the summer.


Upon leaving a job, the student or the employer should return the employer copy of the permit to the Department of Labor so that it can be invalidated.


Please remember that students must get a new permit every time they begin a new job until they reach 16 years old, even if they work for their parents.